Sunday 20 September 2015

Getting a beat down...

Don't know that I've really got much to say this week...

I've been trying a few variations of my script to see if I can get it to work better, but I end up running into roadblocks or having a story that blows out into something well beyond the fifteen page limit. More crucially, I need something that ties the whole film together so it isn't just a series of things that happen. I'd like it to have some kind of meaning, but to be honest, at this stage I'd settle for something that just makes narrative sense. It seems like it's going to be a very long time before I become a decent writer, so if I can just get some things right at least that will be a step in the right direction.
Over the last few years I've had people come to me asking for feedback on their scripts, and up until this year I've been happy to help with it. I'm not so sure I'm in any position to do that any more. It's sort of a case of the emperor's new clothes.

I've tried to map out my story with Blake Snyder's beat breakdown, but that hasn't really helped all that much. I don't know how much of that actually applies to a short film. Also, I'm not a massive fan of "template" film's but hey, if it's a way of getting back to the basics and making something coherent, that's probably a small price to pay.

Working on a Blake Snyder orientated beat sheet. 


I am running out of time though, so I think I basically need to have made a final decision on the script by Tuesday night at the latest so I can get on to prepping for the shoot. My shoot dates are locked in and immovable, and if I want to have anything resembling a polished film, I'm going to have start locking things in very soon.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, thanks Callum. Character-based writing will be the best way forward in this situation! Please send me your script as soon as you can and we can have another chat about it.

    ReplyDelete